Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fiber Artist Interview - Involution

I've met some amazing artists on Etsy and what better idea than to share them with the followers of my blog. I'm introducing a regular feature of interviews with some great fiber sartisans from Etsy and beyond.


To begin this feature, I interviewed one of my favorite fiber and jewerly artists on Etsy. In the process of interviewing I found out we're practically neighbors!



Let me introduce Jessica from Involution.


Before you read on check out these amazing earrings.




Where are you from and where are you now?

I grew up on a sleepy, beautiful island off the coast of Maine. Since I am something of a quiet, stay-at-home-and-make-cookies type, I may find myself back there some day. But for now I am in my beloved city of Durham, North Carolina. My boyfriend and I have just finished renovating a historic house there that had been abandoned for decades, and I'm very excited to be there.



How did you get started working with fiber and jewelry?

Like all my best ideas, it sort of swept me away before my logical side had a chance to protest. Although I've always loved the arts, starting a crafting business had never, ever occurred to me. But one day I happened to see a beautiful, hand felted throw, and something in me said, "I'm going to do that now." So I threw myself gleefully into it, and one thing led to another--I couldn't have seen it coming, but here I am making fiber jewelry.


What inspires you? What inspires your work?

Boldness and audacity in every form. I've held a lot of limiting beliefs in my life about what can and can't be done (which is probably why it never occurred to me to do something like this for a living). So when I see people doing outrageous things because they simply refuse to believe it's not a good idea, I get excited. I think every last one of us has unspeakably beautiful and unique things inside us, and if we would only trust ourselves enough to express them we'd all be a lot happier. So that's what I try to do, and when I manage to pull it off, it feels like flying.


What pieces in your shop are you most proud of and why?

Hmm, that's a hard one. I like the All The Tea in China earrings and the Molecular Bond pendant, just because I particularly love the way they turned out. But I love them all...answering this is like picking a favorite child (not that I would know--I have no children and only one dog. He's definitely my favorite).


What handmade items do you admire or want to try making?


Right now I have a fascination with handmade shoes. There's an almost unlimited creative potential there! But such a demanding practical aspect to their construction also, because few other fashion accessories are repeatedly slammed against the pavement. I plan to try making some prototypes this spring, and I'm very excited about it!




Molecular Bond


Be sure to check out more of Jessica's work at
Involution.etsy.com

1 comment:

  1. What an inspiring person Jessica is! Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete